CAPITAL AREA YMCA REOPENS WITH NEW POLICIES, PROCEDURES
READY TO WELCOME MEMBERS BACK WITH A FOCUS ON SAFETY for ALL
The Capital Area YMCA’s priority is to operate our facilities, programs and services in a safe and effective manner. Considering CDC and government guidelines, our reopening plan prioritizes the health and well-being of our members, staff and the communities we serve.
We are excited to see you all come through our doors again. To get ready for your first visit back to the Y, we encourage you to read this page in its entirety. Things will change. We will be updating this page regularly with the most up-to-date information.
As we reopen, we will do so cautiously, safely and slowly, and in a financially responsible way. To meet these parameters, we will be opening our locations in stages. Our Round One of reopening will include 431 Pennington Avenue and Prospect Village. These reopening decisions were made with many factors in mind, including efforts to be accessible in a wide geographical footprint throughout our service area.
Gyms remain closed across New Jersey, with a reopening date expected soon but not yet announced. When we are able to share our next steps, we will do so. In the meantime, we appreciate your continued support.
We are confident that the phased reopening of our branches is the best way to restart our operations in the safest way possible for staff and members. We will address the reopening of our other facilities once we feel we can do so safely.
HEALTH SCREENING WILL BE REQUIRED FOR FACILITY ACCESS
Any individual who displays any symptom of an illness will not be allowed to enter the building.
BEFORE COMING TO THE Y
Before your first visit to the Y, there are some important things you need to know that are meant to ensure safety and the best possible environment under these conditions:
- Complete your own personal health scan and determine your safety.
- Plan your visit. There will be significant capacity restrictions throughout the building. Because of this, we are asking that all members consider limiting facility usage to 60 minutes.
- You must register for classes or programs in advance. Group Exercise Class capacity will be limited and reconfigured to meet social distancing requirements. To attend Group Exercise Classes, please call the front desk at 609-599-9622 ext 201 to pre-register.
- Remember to bring a mask. You will be required to wear one (or another CDC-approved face covering) when entering and leaving the building, and when unable to be socially distant.
- All non-bottle water filling drinking fountains will be out of use. Please be sure to bring a water bottle.
- Guest passes will no longer be accepted.
- Our participation in the National Reciprocity and A.W.A.Y. Program will be suspended until further notice.
WHILE IN THE FACILITY
When you first enter the facility, you will notice things look different. All areas have been redesigned for social distancing. Markers on the floor and signs throughout the building are in place to make maintaining social distancing simple. Please take a moment to read, and abide by, the new signage and guide markers as you come across them.
You will also notice an increased amount of hand sanitizer and cleaning stations throughout the building to make hand hygiene and equipment maintenance more convenient. Members will be asked to clean equipment before and after each use and utilize hand sanitizer as needed.
Our staff will be wearing masks, except for Group Exercise instructors while teaching class. The Y will require everyone to wear a facemask or another CDC-approved face covering when entering and leaving the building, and when social distancing cannot be achieved.
We have outlined a handful of simple guidelines that all members can incorporate into their time at the Y. Please take a moment to read them below.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Our reopening can and will be successful with members and Y staff working together. In fact, we have created a new Community Conscious Member Pledge. In it, we are asking all members to behave in a responsible way by adhering to the following:
- If you are sick, stay home and join us virtually. If you have a temperature, stay home and join us virtually. If someone in your house is sick, stay home and join us virtually. If you have allergies and cannot control sneezing, stay home and join us virtually.
- Please arrive no more than 5 minutes prior to your group exercise class or program starting to avoid lingering/socializing and to allow other members to finish their class and exit safely, due to reduced occupancy/distancing.
- Limit the items you touch within the facility to only the items you will use.
- Wear a mask as you enter and leave the building. Consider wearing a mask during your workout.
- Wipe down each piece of equipment you use before and after use and dispose of the wipe appropriately.
- Wash your hands with soap and water upon entering and before you leave the building. If not possible, use hand sanitizer when you enter and before you leave the building.
- Maintain appropriate social and physical distance from other members and employees when walking throughout the buildings to the best extent possible.
- Limit visit to 60 minutes and abide by current program schedules to allow fellow members to enjoy our facility.
- Speak in a respectful tone while discussing social distancing or other concerns. Remember that shouting promotes the spread of the virus.
If members are not compliant with the new policies and protocols, they will be asked to leave the facility.
YOUR FAVORITE PROGRAMS AND AREAS
To comply with social distancing and recommendations from national, state and local health leaders, the spaces in which you exercise have changed. We worked very hard to make these changes with your safety and experience in mind:
WELLNESS CENTERS, GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES AND GYMNASIUMS
- Cardio and Strength Training Areas are not open at this time.
- Limited Group Exercise Classes will be offered with distancing requirements maintained with no person-to-person physical contact. Schedules will be limited.
- Basketball courts and other areas where sports with physical contact are not open at this time.
CHILD CARE AREAS AND PROGRAMMING
- Team youth sports are suspended until further notice.
- Temperatures of all children will be taken.
- Parents will not be allowed in childcare areas or program rooms. We ask that you wait in the car for your child to finish their class.
POOLS AND OTHER AQUATIC SPACES
- Our outdoor swim center will remain closed
CLEANING PROCEDURES AND COVID-19 TRANSMISSION PREVENTION
The Capital Area YMCA is committed to maintaining a clean and safe environment utilizing products that meet EPA’s criteria. We have increased our already rigorous cleaning practices to include:
- Each facility will be entirely cleaned and disinfected prior to opening and after closing each day.
- All staff will be trained in regards to how they can reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- All equipment will be cleaned throughout the day and before opening and after closing.
- This is in addition to members cleaning equipment before and after use, and Group Exercise instructors cleaning equipment.
- Enhanced cleaning protocol will focus on high-traffic, high-touch common areas.
- Acrylic barriers have been installed at Welcome Centers and check in areas to provide extra protection for staff and members.
- Equipment will be spaced to maintain appropriate social distance.
- Spacing markers have been placed on the floors to enable social and physical distancing.
- Signage installed and staff monitoring areas to enforce social distancing practices.
Specifications of cleaning product names and details are available upon request.
EXPOSURE TO COVID-19
CDC guidelines for handling exposure and mitigating risk if exposure occurs in a YMCA facility will be strictly followed. If a staff or member who has been in the YMCA reports they are a COVID carrier, the Y will:
- Maintain the confidentiality of the individual while coordinating with the local health department to report the potential exposure.
- Notify members and staff of the individual’s branch.
- Deep clean the branch per CDC guidelines.
- Quarantine all employees who came in close and unmasked contact with the individual for 48 hours as recommended by the CDC.
If staff have been in contact with someone that has been diagnosed, they will notify their supervisor and follow CDC recommended precautions.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU
If you have any questions, please contact us at 609-599-9622.
We are continuing to evaluate our practices and will make necessary changes to ensure safety for everyone. We look forward to learning and growing with you as we navigate this new world. We hope to see you at the Y soon.